On the Move

by Rebecca A. Watson on June 23, 2013

in dreams, Germany, goals, moving

Late one night in 2009, Sante and I were laying down, looking at the stars. We were in that beginning phase of “courting” (as Sante calls it), where we were trying to decide how serious this was going to be. We may not even have had boyfriend/girlfriend status at the time.

We were chatting about our dreams. Or rather, it was probably me yammering on about my plans. I’m the talker in the relationship. I said I wanted to move to Europe, maybe Sweden, in about five years. I’d never lived out of the country and it was important for me to do so at some time in my life.

Aside from Santa Cruz, the places I've felt most at home have been Norway and the mountains of Honduras.

Aside from Santa Cruz, the places I’ve felt most at home have been Norway and the mountains of Honduras.

Sante balked. He’d already lived in Spain. And he wasn’t interested in starting a relationship with someone who wanted to leave the country. He’d been there, done that, obviously without success. Suddenly, we were at a critical point.

I sat and thought about it for awhile. Why did I want to move? Was it important to go in five years, or was that some random number? Some arbitrary goal? Yes, living out of the country was important to me, but did it have to be in five years?

Here was a man that had everything I’d listed on my “Best Man Ever” list. Well, everything but the baseball fan part, but my friends assured me I could do without that. (They were right.) Was I going to risk all that for an arbitrary goal hanging out there in the ether, with no real plan of how to implement it?

I decided that I could change my future plans a little. I told Sante living outside the country was important to me, but so was he. I was willing to put it off until the right time (maybe retirement?) if he was open to moving out of the country again. He agreed and obviously things moved along.

But that didn’t mean my dream went away. I created a vision board that hung in our kitchen for the past two years. Yes, I am still a diva that wants life to be an incredible journey. Yes I require movement and a world view to feel at home.

rebecca vision board

Well, it’s been about 3.5 years since we had that conversation and I’m super-freakin’ excited to say that we’re moving to Freiburg, Germany in less than a month! Yes, there is a lot to do. Yes, we must learn a new language. And yes, Sante is the reason for the move.

He’s been offered an awesome opportunity to work in the bike industry, doing what he loves, in a beautiful place. I’m so proud of him. And I’m proud of me for taking what seemed like a risk at the time. I went with what looked like less of a safe bet for my dreams. And because I did, I’m about a year early in achieving my goal.

I’m telling y’all this for a few reasons. I’m so looking forward to writing all about all of my escapades, acclimating to a new place and the lessons I’ve yet to learn. Trust me, moving gets my creative juices flowing. New things make me so happy. I am an Aries after all.

But also I’m encouraging you to never give up on what you’ve got in your heart. As I read recently from my Notes from the Universe (which I highly recommend), you worry about the what (the dream, the desire, the love, etc.) and the Universe/God/Goddess will take care of the how.

So ask yourself, what does your heart desire? And don’t worry if you’ve got enough money or if you’re young enough or old enough or thin enough. Eff that. It’s all about the three P’s: practice, patience and persistence. And let the Universe do its job.

If you’re comfortable, I’d love to hear what your big dream, or mountain as one of my friends calls it, is! Tell me in the comments. Oh! And check out my latest article over at Think Simple Now about creating good habits.

Olivia June 23, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I’m excited for you!

Ah… I have the travel bug bad. I was a flight attendant for awhile, but only within the states. I have an empty passport… lol (it was required incase we had to land in Mexico, Canada, etc.).

My big dream was/is to go parasailing, which I checked off the list last month… go skydiving, run a 5K… like seriously RUN! I want to go to San Fran bad too. I landed in Oakland but never got to go. I’ve thought about going back to school one day too.

And this is totally strange, out of my control and a wee bit terrifying, but I’m registered with “Be the Match”… and I’d love to help save a life someday.

Now off to think simple πŸ™‚

Ms. Becca June 28, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Cool! I always wanted to be a flight attendant πŸ™‚ You definitely should try to travel outside the country when you can. I’m sure with kids it’s not really easy, but life is long and someday you will find the opportunity!

Kim July 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

Lady, I am so excited for you! I’ve been reading your blogs and I have to say you have certainly changed from our days back in Minneapolis but at the same time still the same girl. You were always full of life and adventure. I’m so glad you are loving life and your dream is coming true. I wish you all the best! Maybe we’ll have to have a MN reunion with us 3 girls (you, me and Johanna) in Europe sometime soon since I’m the odd ball out now. πŸ™‚ Safe Travels!

eileen July 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm

whoo hoo.
i just signed up on the 100 day challenge site and perused it… how great to find someone who gets notes from the universe AND thinks the artists’ way is great within the same day…

i used the artists’ way a long time back and made major changes in my already creative life (painter/sculptor/musician) … and it was also long before i ever would have needed to sign up for the aforementioned challenge. this is a good sign for me. because i don’t feel much kindred in the local 12 step community.

thanks for posting all of this .

Ms. Becca July 5, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Awww thanks Kim πŸ™‚ You are so sweet to say all that. It means a lot to me that you’ve been reading my stuff and also that you see how I’ve changed πŸ™‚ We should definitely have a reunion in Europe! That would be a blast!! I know Jojjo just bought a house so we’ll have to wait until we both settle down again πŸ˜‰ You are welcome in Germany any time!

Hi eileen! Thanks for all your kind words and your enthusiasm for my blog and the challenge and the artists way πŸ™‚ It feels good to know other people are on the same wavelength. I’m stoked you’re reading my blog — feel free to comment any time or send me an email. Have a happy day!

Lilly July 17, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Lilly July 17, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Wow, I somehow missed this huge news but just now read the original post about it too. How FREAKING EXCITING! That is fabulous and congratulations to you both to taking such a huge, big plunge. You said he has a job there – what are you planning to do there? Have you work lined up? Will you continue to freelance?

I have lived overseas but I too would love to live in Europe someday for a spell. I am so excited for you and can’t wait to hear updates about your new adventures.

Lilly xo

Ms. Becca July 18, 2013 at 5:16 am

Thanks Lilly! Yeah, I am super excited. I will be freelancing over there and trying to write a book I think. I’m sort of setting the ground work now of what my career plans are. All this change is intense but totally worth it. Where did you live overseas?

Tom Stevens October 13, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Funny how I ended up here: My old college friend Karen who lives in NYC (I’m in Detroit) told me she was taking some time off drinking and had told me to google “thirty things I learned in not drinking for 30 days” and you came up…coincidently I decided to stop just 72 hours ago myself. My wife Nancy died of cancer 6 months ago and I haven’t had a non-drinking 24 hours (wine, beer, rum or some combo thereof) since and not for years prior, either. She was a super heavy drinker too as well as a professor at University. Anyway, I’m not craving a drink at all right now and it’s a real trip to feel emotions and grief sober. I achieved one of my dreams while Nancy was still with me, learning to fly and getting my pilot’s license–we then flew from Marco island FL to Key West in a Cessna 172 which will always be one of my fondest memories. My next dream is to get my own plane and island hop around the Caribbean, making new friends and new memories. That, and pulishing a book that honors and informs Nancy’s life with me and my choice to stay with her no matter how messed up things were at times. Many people told me I was crazy not to walk, but I couldn’t and wouldn’t. It was my choice and I have no regrets whatsoever, in fact it was my privilege. Your honesty is inspiring. I also like what you have to say about trusting the universe. And be willing to take a chance.

Ms. Becca October 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Hey Tom, Glad you made it here and super happy that I could inspire you. It sounds like you’ve had an intense year. Good for you for having goals and for cutting out the drink for a few days! It’s pretty rad how different your feelings are when you can actually feel them. Thanks for your kind words and please do stop by again!